Solihull College & University Centre is proud to be lead partner of the Greater Birmingham & Solihull Institute of Technology (GBSIoT).
Institutes of Technology are collaborations between further education (FE universities and employers. They specialise in delivering higher technical education (at Levels 4 and 5) with a focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects. IoTs focus on the specific technical skills needs required in their area. They provide employers with a skilled workforce and students with a clear route to technical employment.
Since welcoming its first GBSIoT learners in September 2020, the College has been delighted to see students benefit from the wonderful career opportunities available to them thanks to links created with the IoT’s industry partners.
The College’s Woodlands Campus, the first ‘spoke’ of GBSIoT, has been visited and commended by high profile stakeholders, most recently by the Secretary of State for Education, Gillian Keegan, in November 2022 and Mayor of the West Midlands, Andy Street, in February 2023.
GBSIoT has a central hub building that is available to use by students of all 7 partners. The GBSIoT Hub in central Birmingham houses the largest Cyber Physical Manufacturing Rig in Europe. A scaled-down ‘factory of the future’, this technology brings industry into the classroom, showcasing what a real factory workspace looks like in 2023. This state-of-the-art equipment is an incredible additional offer that students can benefit from if studying on an IoT course!
The College are committed to providing continued support to this industry through investment in our campus, courses, and our students.
To find out more, contact the GBSIoT:
Visit the GBSIoT hub
Take a virtual tour of the fantastic Cyber Rig manufacturing facility in the heart of Birmingham.
Use the hub‘s online Pathfinder tool to generate career pathway possibilities.
IoTs are Designed For:
- Young people taking T-levels or A-levels who want to progress to higher technical education.
- Adult learners who want access to further training.
- People in employment who want to develop new skills.
The GBSIoT specialises in Engineering and Manufacturing and was developed to incorporate all further education colleges and higher education institutions in the region. The GBSIoT is also advised by a group of employers and stakeholders to ensure that it is employer led and responds to the requirements of the area. A full list of partners and stakeholders can be found below.
As part of the GBSIoT, Solihull College & University Centre will be delivering the following programmes:
- Pearson Subsidiary Diploma Engineering
- Higher Apprenticeship Advanced Manufacturing Level 4 – all pathways
- Engineering Manufacturing Technician Apprenticeship
- Pearson BTEC HNC Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (RQF)
- Pearson BTEC HNC Diploma in Manufacturing Engineering (RQF)
- Pearson BTEC HNC Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (RQF)
- Foundation Degree Manufacturing Engineering
- Foundation Degree Mechanical Engineering
- Foundation Degree Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Control/Technical Support Engineer (Degree) Apprenticeship
- Electrical/Electronic Technical Support Engineer (Degree) Apprenticeship
- Manufacturing Engineer (Degree) Apprenticeship
- Product Design and Development Engineer (Degree) Apprenticeship
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering Design
- BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Manufacturing Engineering
- Engineering Technician Apprenticeship
- Sustainable Engineering for Manufacturing
- Computer Aided Engineering
- Production Engineering for Manufacture
- Automation, Robotics and Programmable Logic Controllers
- Computer Aided Design & Manufacture
- Engineering Design
- Quality and Process Improvement
- Introduction to Hydraulics
- Introduction to Pneumatics
- Introduction to CAD
Partners & Stakeholders
The Greater Birmingham and Solihull Institute of Technology is a region-wide collaboration between the following partners and stakeholders:
- Solihull College & University Centre (SCUC) FE College (Lead)
- South & City College Birmingham (SCCB) FE College (Anchor)
- Birmingham Metropolitan College (BMet) FE College
- Aston University Higher Education Institution (Anchor)
- Birmingham City University (BCU) Higher Education Institution (Anchor)
- University of Birmingham (UoB) Higher Education Institution
- University College Birmingham (UCB) Higher Education Institution
- Bosch Thermotechnology Ltd Employer Advisor & Chair of Board
- Salts Healthcare Ltd Employer Advisor & Board Member
- Alucast Employer Advisor
- Continental Engineering Services Employer Advisor
- HydraForce Employer Advisor
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership Stakeholder Advisor
- Birmingham City Council Stakeholder Advisor
- Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council Stakeholder Advisor
- Greater Birmingham Chamber of Commerce Stakeholder Advisor
- Aim Higher West Midlands Stakeholder Advisor