Learners who complete this qualification will be able to gain employment and obtain insurance to work as a sports massage therapist.
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Sports massage therapy
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (Gym-based exercise)
This qualification will be delivered, assessed and assured in line with the:
- CNHC code of conduct, ethics and performance
- Skills for Health's QCF assessment principles
- VTCT assessment guidance and evidence requirements
- Skills for Health
- General council for massage therapy
The content of this qualification is comprised of all the required elements needed to work effectively and efficiently as a sports massage therapist. As a level 3 sports massage therapist will be able to work safely and effectively on dysfunctional tissue in a range of context, to include, pre-event, post event, intra-event and for maintenance purposes.
The structure of the qualification is comprised of 5 units which are all mandatory.
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Principles of health and fitness
- Understand the principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Professional practice in sports massage
- Sports massage treatments
The course will be run as a professional qualification for individuals who wish to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a sports massage therapist.
The course required a mixture of theory and practical components. The theory section of the course will delivered in units where the learners will complete a portfolio and submit it for marking. In addition to the portfolio, unit 1 will be externally assessed through an exam.
The practical element of the course will be delivered in lessons using each other as clients.
VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
The majority of the qualification is internally assessed. You are required to create a portfolio of evidence in relation to theory and practical observation. Fifty hours of sports massage practise must be supervised and documented in your portfolio of evidence. You are also required to complete one externally set paper for unit 1 - anatomy and physiology for sports massage.
You can apply for this course directly to Solihull College and University Centre
There are no formal prerequisites for the Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy, however you will complete a first aid at work qualification alongside this course.
You may wish to purchase your own massage equipment, fold-away beds and oils in order to practise. This is not, however, a requirement of the course.
Payment option 1: Full payment at enrolment
Payment option 2: Monthly direct debit
Payment option 3: Advanced Learner Loan
You can progress to one of the following employment opportunities:
- Sports massage therapist - working with professional and semi-professional sports people
- Supporting mass participation events e.g. the London Marathon
- Working 1:1 with clients from a variety of sporting backgrounds
Alternatively you may wish to continue your studies for example:
- Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy
- Level 3 Diploma in the Prevention and Management of Sports Injuries
Future Higher education opportunities (subject to additional qualifications):
- BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy or BSc (Hons) Sports Rehabilitation