This course is a one year top-up programme designed to enable students from Foundation Degrees in Mechanical Engineering to obtain a BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering Design. It was developed to provide a natural level 6 progression route for students studying the Foundation Degree in Mechanical Engineering at Solihull College & University Centre. This programme has been designed to support students in their application for Incorporated Engineer.
The principal aim of this course is to provide an education in mechanical engineering, producing graduates who have the necessary range of skills and depth of understanding to successfully pursue careers as Incorporated Engineers working in the industry.
A distinguishing feature of this course is its practical and applied mechanical emphasis, which it derives from industries local to the University and the expertise of the staff. Graduates of the course should be able to work effectively in industry as part of design, development or research teams with the skills necessary to turn concepts into drawings and through to the manufacturing and assembly processes.
There will be part-time and full-time delivery modes and during the course of the programme you will study:
- Engineering Project (Double)
- Management, Ethics, Energy & Sustainability (Double)
- Advanced CAD/CAM
- Sensors & Data Logging
- Sustainable Engineering
- Design of Machines
The programme consists of lectures, seminars, project work, and directed activities to promote independent learning along with workshops, and tutorials. Work-based learning is also an important part of the programme and will be linked in with core modules.
These are various modes of attendance available
* 3 days per week (full-time) for 1 years
* 1.5 days per week for 1 years (If working in engineering - the ½ day may flexible and may be studied in the workplace)
* 1 day per week for 18 months (If working in engineering)
* 0.75 days per week for 2 years (if working in engineering)
Please note that the fees will be calculated based on the number of modules studied each year and the length of study.
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering Design awarded by Oxford Brookes University.
A variety of methods of assessment will be used within the programme, including coursework, assignments, examinations, experiments and presentations. Most modules consist of more than one method of assessment.
You must apply through UCAS for full-time study (Code: TBA). This will notify both Oxford Brookes and Solihull College that you have applies.
If you wish to apply for part-time study, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and request an application form.
Places are offered by interview with the course tutors, this can be over the telephone or face to face depending on what best suits your circumstances. All interviews are held at the College.
Entrants to the Programme normally possess the following:
- Foundation Degree (Engineering) in Mechanical Engineering from Solihull College
- Foundation Degrees from other Universities or Colleges will be admitted if their modules are equivalent.
If you do not achieve a BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering Design, there is an alternative classification of BEng Mechanical Engineering Design which may be awarded.
The cost will be worked out pro-rata for part-time study.
Is there anything else I will have to pay for in order to do this course?
- Scientific Calculator (approx. £10)
- Optional: Books: £100 for the year with average book price at £15 to £20
- Optional: Printing and binding in the college over and above print allowance (dependent upon page numbers and colour)
- Optional: Laptop/Home computer (required for assessment work and accessing software remotely)
- Optional: Project based costs may be incurred if components are required which are not available through college stock.
- Optional: 3D printing may form part of a project. Where possible, the college will pay for the printing materials. However, for larger designs, a contribution may be required from the student.
You could continue your studies and apply for an MSc programme at Oxford Brookes University.
The qualification will also provide you with a broad range of Engineering skills which will enable you to progress in your career now and in the future.